CREATION – PICTURES FOR DORIAN
- 29/08 9pm / 30/08 7pm
- 90 minutes
- German & English
- 25€ / 15€ / red. 8€
Oscar Wilde’s literary character Dorian Gray makes a Faustian pact: a magical portrait ages instead of him, but also displays the marks of his sinful transgressions. While Gray becomes more and more excessive, vulgar and cruel, his external appearance remains young and flawless. In the new production by the performance collective Gob Squad, the stage becomes a utopian space. The performers all share their experiences of a life in the limelight, using their bodies as capital, which are publically exhibited and looked at. But onstage they also have the chance to try out the lives, experiences and identities of others, and to paint over them. As if by magic, a group of elderly people suddenly turns into a group of teenagers – picture frames, canvases and mirror walls are repeatedly moved and rearranged, producing unexpected new images, portraits and perspectives. Gob Squad explores the theme of seeing and being seen under the voyeuristic gaze of the audience. Who has control over whom? Who is manipulating and steering whom? And what does it mean to lose control over yourself and your body?
Gob Squad! In Wiesbaden for the third time – After their extravagant version of Tolstoy’s “War and Peace” at the last Biennale and “Western Society” at the May Festival, the British-German performance collective are back once again in 2018!
- Concept and Direction Gob Squad
- Sound Design Sebastian Bark, Jeff McGrory
- Video Design Miles Chalcraft
- Costume Design Ingken Benesch
- Set Realisation Lena Mody
- Lighting Design and Technical Management Chris Umney
- Dramaturgy and Production Management Christina Runge
- Artistic Assistant & Touring Manager Mat Hand
- Costume Assistant Claudia Gali
- Set Realisation Assistant Julia Buntzel
- Production Assistant Ben Mohai
- Direction Assistant Patty Kim, Amina Nouns
- Gob Squad Management Eva Hartmann
- UK Producer Ayla Suveren
- With Gob Squad (Johanna Freiburg, Sean Patten, Sharon Smith, Berit Stumpf, Sarah Thom, Bastian Trost, Simon Will) and Wiesbaden guests
Production: Gob Squad and HAU Hebbel am Ufer. Developed with the support from Center Theatre Group, Los Angeles, CA. Co-production: Münchner Kammerspiele, Schauspiel Leipzig, Wiebaden Biennale, Schlachthaus Theater Bern, LIFT London, Brighton Festival, Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts. An magine 2020 (2.0) Project supported by the Creative Europe Programme of the European UnionSupported by: Arts Council of England.
Funded by the state of Berlin, Chancellery of the Berlin Senate for Culture and Europe.
Gob Squad Arts Collective received institutional support as part of the concept period (2015-2019) by the Senate Department of Culture and Europe.
Back to the top